Saturday, January 24, 2009

Why I am not a Christian

Have you ever tried to invite your neighbor to Church? Well, I did. It was a Sunday morning after attending two services that I thought of buying something from a convenience store. Since I in my collar, I invited my friend who was attending me. "I am the priest of the Church across the road and I inviting you to Church." Anxious to convince, I continued, "We are your neighbors just across the road."

The man told me that he works 7 days a week and would not be able to make it. As an Episcopalian and Anglican, I took this time to sell my religion. "Well, we meet Sundays from 10-11:30. There after we have coffee hour. Please try and visit us one Sunday."

As I was speaking to him, the owner of the Shop showed up. A very kind woman, whose presence in that shop tells a lot about her spirituality. As she walked towards the counter, she recognized me. A spiritual woman she is, she extended her greeting to me and said, "Happy New Year." I responded back with similar words but added, "I am inviting him to Church".
"When do you worship?," she asked with great humility.

Thinking she was interested in joining us, I proudly marketed my Church, "We worship on Sundays at 10- 11:30 and we have bible study on Wednesday at 6:30. You can join us on these two days for fellowship."

To my disappointment, she responded with a great smile on her face, "That is the reason why I am not a Christian. I do not believe in worshiping God once or twice a week. My God should be worshiped every day. At least five times a day."

Trying to justify myself, I responded that our Sunday meetings do not replace our daily devotions. But the woman responded, "You are not the only Christian to tell me that! All Christians who come to this shop point to worshiping on Sundays only. When are you going to learn to worship God daily."

Knowing I was on a losing end, I gave up with the words, I told her that we have a lot to learn from her religion. As I drove back home, I reflected on the woman's wise words. It was like Jesus meeting the Samaritan woman at the well. This time, however, the woman told me everything I had done! She was a prophet only that this time she was a Muslim. Muslims worship God everyday we Christians worship God on Sundays only.

If there is something to learn from our friends of the Islamic faith, it is their devotion to Allah. If our God is real as we claim, we should learn to worship God daily. Our duty is to love and worship God for the rest of our lives. As the woman said, we need to learn to worship God every day.

No comments: