Friday, September 23, 2011

Envisioning a Sacred Community: Imparting Ubuntu in our communities

In my culture, we usually speak in plural term; the tradition most Westerners find so frustrating. In most cases, one hears statements like our mother, our family as opposed to my mother, my father or even my family. This understanding is somehow different from the Western understanding which speaks in individual terms. My family means my spouse, myself and my children, period! In fact, when you great me, how are you, you expect me to answer, fine! If I am not well, I will say that I have a cold. In my tribe, however, my response will include my community. When I say to Mwape, mulishani, I am asking her to tell me about herself, brothers, sisters, animals and community. If she ignores to tell me that her brother is not well, then she does not care about me or her family. This relationship is usually expressed in the ethics of Ubuntu, which connects one to the wider community.

As a former Franciscan, my spirituality has been influenced by the life of St. Francis of Assisi. To some extent, his life and teachings have influenced what I value most; justice for all God’s creation. Amidst our busy schedules and approaching datelines, we are usually tempted to forget that we are all sisters and brothers keepers. All of us were created in the image of God and I mean all; criminals and even our own enemies. As Desmond Tutu once said, in God’s family there are

“no outsiders. Everyone is an insider. When Jesus said, "I, if I am lifted up, will draw..." Did he say, "I will draw some"? "I will draw some, and tough luck for the others"? He said, "I, if I be lifted up, will draw all." All! All! All! – Black, white, yellow; rich, poor; clever, not so clever; beautiful, not so beautiful. All! All! It is radical. All! Saddam Hussein, Osama bin Laden,Bush – all! All! All are to be held in this incredible embrace. Gay, lesbian, so-called "straight;" all! All! All are to be held in the incredible embrace of the love that won’t let us go.

The ethical paradigm is associated with Desmond Tutu as popularized by Michael Battle in his book, Ubuntu Theology of Desmond Tutu. While Tutu could have theologized this concept, in reality, political scientist, anthropologists and missionaries like Placides Tempel had written about it as early as 1946. It is tempting for us to celebrate the ethics of Ubuntu without pay attention to its ideals. The ethical ideals of possessing Ubuntu is not limited to accepting the interconnectedness of human beings but extends to ensuring community well-being. By accepting that I am because I am interconnected, I am declaring my responsibilities to the community to which I am a member.

Ubuntu an ethical idea to which all communities should aspire. Our political differences can blind us from knowing that we depend on each other’s toil. As an employment grows, and the economy threaten us, we are can easily ignore our responsibilities to one another. We are the sacred community is founded on the inclusive love of God for the sake transforming our local communities into loving and serving communities.

1 comment:

Angela Sexen said...

I firmly believe in casting all of our anxieties upon the Lord, because He cares for us. I know absolutely that regardless of what is going on around us being in the Lord is like being in the eye of the hurricaine. Always believe that when you first seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness then all that you need will be added. Don't let reason or unbelief rob you. Take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ. The very things that Job feared came upon him and that is what Satan wants us to do, reason against God's blessings with our carnal mind. Don't forget, the earth is the Lord's and everything in it and all things are possible with God. It is better to be in the position of having what we need and God in our lives than to have masses of money and not know Jesus. He is fully able to grant you your heart's desire. Read more