Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Is God a boy or a girl: A sunday School answer

Two weeks ago, I had a chance to ask the Children of Christ Church, Hyde Park, what they thought of God. I had so many good answers but two were surprisingly theological. One boy told me that he had seen God in the Church standing in front of the altar. When I inquired about this vision, the boy told me that God was speaking to me!

Wait a minute, "you mean God was in Church speaking to me?" I immediately followed up the question with another child. This time, it was about the gender of God. "Do you think God is male and female?" After pausing for sometime, the young girl spoke softly, "I think, .....God must be both?" After the service, I walked to the girl and asked her why she thought God was both. Her answer is even the more revealing. "Because God created both male and female. It is only fair that God is both."

I have struggled with the girl's answer and I am forced to reflect on it. Why should God be both in the world where gender seems to define one's role in Community? I am a father of girls and I love them so much but I hate it when people feel sorry me for having only girls. I am proud of my girls but the world still think boys are better. Honestly, I love my girls very much and I will let you have your boys with pride.

So is God a girl or a boy? I am aware of what theologians call "a God problem." Feminist have rightly argued that traditional theology ignored the feminine attributes of God. For this reason, God has been presented as a male almighty with unlimited powers over the earth and humanity. For this reason, they advocate a return to a feminine Goddess Gaia. Conservatives on the other hand have argued that God should always be called Father. After all, Jesus called God father. So is God mother or Father?

My Sunday school girl taught me something, however. God should be both. Imagine how many seminars we have held to prove or disapprove the gender of God. The little girl provides us with a theological answer, God is both. God is our Mother and Father, a very present help in time of need. What a lesson for us all who need a loving Mother and Father on our side.

No comments: